Wednesday, May 13, 2009

As the Galaxy Turns

The inspiration for an image - its pre-visualization if you will - can spring from the most unlikely sources. This particular shot happened in 1997 during the media day that was held before the regular Edwards Air Force Base open house. I was walking down the ramp in the late afternoon when I saw the light on the nose of this Lockheed C-5 Galaxy. It reminded me of the old soap opera where the opening credits show a black and white image of a spinning globe with the terminator line dividing night and day. I think it was called As the World Turns or something like that - it was a long time ago. Regardless, that's the image I tried to capture. Whether other people get the symbolism or not, I don't know. But it made a dramatic enough shot that it was picked for publication by two industry magazines. All in all, that ain't too bad. I never told them about the soap connection, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment