Thursday, May 7, 2009

New Mexico Dinosaurs

If there is one thing I like as well as airplanes it's dinosaurs. When I was 5 years old I wanted to be a paleontologist. My boyhood hero was Roy Chapman Andrews, the man who led the landmark expeditions into the Gobi Desert in the 1920s and 1930s and whose team discovered the first dinosaur eggs. He is also described as the inspiration for Indiana Jones.

I gave up the desire to be a paleontologist when I was 25 - sad to say the science and math that was required was too difficult for me. Regardless, whenever I can I like to visit the dinosaurs. If life had taken a not too different path I would've been perfectly happy doing bones as I am airplanes.

Tina and I had a couple of hours to spare in Albuquerque before our flight home, so we went to the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science. They have a marvelous dinosaur exhibit. This is their showcase for Jurassic dinosaurs: a Seismosaurus locked in combat with a predatory Saurophaganax. It is a magnificent display.

There are lots more fossil photos I could show, but I think I'll go back to airplanes on my next post. I miss them
.

No comments:

Post a Comment